"It is the mission of Whitaker Funeral Home to be the leader in the facilitation and creation of meaningful ways for families to grieve their loss and celebrate the memories of their loved ones. We will always strive to exceed the expectations of each family we are privileged to serve."
Originally known as the John Rowland Leavell Funeral Home, our facilities were first located near the present-day Hampton Inn on Nance Street in Newberry, SC. This home was founded in 1847, and in 1865 Robert Young Leavell built the Nance Street facility.
After the death of R. Y. Leavell in 1935, James R. Leavell took over the helm, moving the Newberry Home to its present site (Calhoun St. & College St.) in the winter of 1937.
The College Street facility was built by Edward Sholtz around 1880 and sold to Dr. William E. Pelham in 1889. Upon his death in 1930 the home went into Dr. Pelham's estate. It was purchased in 1936 by John Stockman, who in turn sold it to James R. Leavell.
In 1951 the home was sold to Roy Doggett Whitaker, Sr. acquiring its current name under which it was incorporated October of 1970. Not long thereafter (1972) a new brick garage was added.
Roy Doggett Whitaker, Jr. was named General Manager of the Whitaker Funeral Home in 1974 and carries on the family tradition to this date.